Tuesday 6 September 2011

Beyond Harry Potter

I keep hearing people say "So, I just finished Harry Potter... now what?!" Although I also jumped on the Harry Potter bandwagon and fell madly in love with the series, I find it sad that Harry Potter fans are unable to find new book series' to read. If you spend time searching, it's really not that hard to find some amazing series'. Mind you, they may not live up to the awesomeness of Harry Potter, but you might just discover that you love them equally as much. Some books from the same genre which I know of are the following:

"Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin: Although this is a popular book series, I will admit, I never heard of them until the HBO Series came out, which personally I thought was amazing. From various recommendations, I keep hearing that the books are equally as amazing.

 "The Seven Realms Series" by Cinda Williams Chima: Those of you who have been following my blog know how much I love Cinda Williams Chima, as I've written about her a few times before. I like to describe this series as a PG version of Game of Thrones; more aimed for teens, and less sex and nudity. I've only read the first book so far, but what I read, I liked.

"Percy Jackson and the Olympians" by Rick Riordon: The story is almost as good as Harry Potter, but the writing style is not as good. Though Percy Jackson's story is a bit more simple when compared to Harry Potter, I can see it possibly having the same fan base. In other words, if you liked Harry Potter, you will most likely also enjoy Percy Jackson.

"100 Cupboards" by N.D. Wilson: Well, I picked up book 1 from the series, but never got around to reading it. When I read the synopsis, I got the impression that the story was full of magic and wonder. 100 Cupboards is the first book in the trilogy, followed by Dandelion Fire and The Chestnut King. 

So there is a list of some of my personal series recommendations which I think Harry Potter fans might enjoy. Keep in mind, that this list is a mix of both children's, teen's and adult books. My fellow Harry Potter lovers: please remember that if you keep an eye out, you can surely find some hidden gems out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment