Tuesday 29 March 2011

Books I Want To Read

Book Series':

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

I remember hearing The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in fifth grade and immediately fell in love with it's magic. Not to mention, it made me curious about this wonderful dessert called Turkish Delight. It wasn't until years later that I found out it was actually a book from a seven part series. I bought the series a couple of years ago and have read 2 1/2 books from my collection. Part of me finds the series a bit tedious because the writing style is not my cup of tea. However, I am on a mission to finish the series one day.

Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Long before Peter Jackson produced his wonderful cinematic version of Lord of The Rings, I remember walking past my older brothers' bedroom and always seeing his Lord Of The Rings book collection (including The Hobbit) sitting on his book shelf. I often picked them up attempting to read through them, but as a young child, I didn't understand the language. 

Deptford Mice Trilogy by Robin Jarvis

While visiting my local library last summer, I skimmed through the children's section one day and found a wonderful book called "The Alchemist's Cat" by Robin Jarvis. The story was dark, mysterious and quite the page turner. After doing some research, I discovered it was book 1 from the 3 part series called The Deptford Histories, which was actually a prequel series to the original, The Deptford Mice Trilogy. The author did a fantastic job of keeping the readers interested, which made me curious about the entire series. This is a story of dark magic, greed and betrayal which Jarvis delivered really well.

Redwall by Brian Jacques

I discovered The Redwall series around the same time that I read The Alchemist's Cat. I even picked up the first book one day, but never ended up reading it. Since then, I've wanted to go back and finish what I started. I was sad when I found out Brian Jacques passed away a few months ago.

The Seven Realms by Cinda Williams Chima

I recently fell in love with the Heir Chronicles, and was delighted to learn Cinda Williams Chima also wrote another fantasy series. I have yet to start this series but am looking forward to it, as I am a huge fan of Chima's writing style.I am currently reading through The Dragon Heir (and loving it!)

Stand Alones:

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas Père

Any kid who grew up in the 90s would remember a lovable dog named Wishbone who brought classic literature to life in a fun, cute and sometimes creepy way. I distinctly remember him acting out The Count of Monte Cristo in one episode. I actually completely forgot about this until the movie was released. It made me want to go back and read the original version.

The Book of Knights by Yves Meynard

My hometown has 99 libraries, and within those 99 libraries, there are only 6 copies of this book. That tells me it must be a true hidden gem. There is something I love about knights. I don't know if it's my passion for medieval culture, or the fact that I find knights to be noble and wish we still had them in this day and age. Whatever the reason, I can't begin to express the wonderful feeling I get when I read about someone getting knighted.

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

My monthly book club recently read one of Marquez's works, entitled Love in The Time of Cholera. Although I admit, the book was somewhat boring, I am still curious to read One Hundred Years of Solitude. My library has an annual festival every April called "Keep Toronto Reading" in which residents of the city can express their love for reading in every way you can think possible (through facebook, twitter, youtube vlogs, visiting various libraries for their KTR programs). One man in particular made a video about how much he loved One Hundred Years of Solitude and he spoke about it so passionately.

The Art of Racing In the Rain by Garth Stein

I don't even remember where I heard about this book. But if there's something I love as much as reading, it's reading books about animals. Reading the reviews, and even watching the book trailer made this story seem sweet and interested (to say the least) as it is narrated by the family dog. Recently having read The Book Thief, I can honestly say I have become a fan of the unconventional narrative in books.

So much to read, such little time!
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment